Monday, November 4, 2013

Media and advertising controls society

If you are reading this, it means you are connected to the internet somehow, so that means you are exposed to advertising and the media in some way or form. And that in turn means that you are at risk of being influenced by the media, just as I am.

Now before I start, I am not opposed to a healthy amount of media entertainment.  It is okay to watch a movie, it is okay to surf the web and it is okay to watch a series.  But you need to ask some questions.

Does the movie/series/website make you stop and think? Does it teach you something? Does it inspire you to do good? Or read up more about a topic?

I loved Stargate-SG1 for that reason, it made me think about real world issues, scientific possibilities and it taught me a lot. There were plenty of hidden warnings for our society in the series.

Other than Stargate-SG1 and a crime series called Life. It has been a very long time since I watched a series that I felt was giving me something to think about with every episode. As a by-product I no longer watch TV series, only documentaries and movies.  And even the movies I have become very selective with.

As far as actual TV goes, I have a TV and I pay my tv license as required of me by law, but I don't think I have watched more than 30 minutes of TV in the 6 months. I have no pay tv, I only get the free channels, and I don't even watch those.

This has allowed me to take a step back and really take a look at the world. How many hours do you spend a week watching a screen or paging through a picture magazine?

Have you seen all the successful people in the world? The ones that are making a difference or have a lot of cash? How much time do you think they spend in front of a screen (actual work on computers excluded).

Don't you think that if 80% of the population got out and actually lived in the present moment, excluding screens from their lives a lot of change could be made for the better in this world?

By sitting in front of a screen all the time, aren't you just becoming a submissive, blindness sheep?  Aren't you helping keep the wealthy rich by only caring about how you are going to get your hands on the next season?

Then I come to another point, how much of the stuff you see and want do you really need to survive and be happy? Here is a good test... if you were to get all the raw materials (for free) and instructions how to make whatever it is you want, would you be willing to spend the next day/month/year making it yourself?  If the answer is no, then really consider if you need it!

Another question: how many shoes do you need?  In my mind: 4 pairs of shoes maximum.  1 for work,  1 for formal wear, 1 for exercise and 1 for casual/beach wear. I will admit I have more than 4 pairs shoes, I have decided that the ones I have are going to be worn until they wear out. No more are coming into my house.

Now the question is where did this idea that women have 50+ pairs of shoes originate?  The advertisers, movies and TV. Right from Clueless and probably even earlier. Clueless was the first time I was introduced to the idea of lots of clothes.

Going back to media and how it shapes society, I ask that you become aware.  You are not a mindless sheep. I encourage you, in this coming week, keep a notebook with you. Every advert you see or hear, make a note.  Every TV series you watch, make a note of the emotions it inspires in you, then stop and think, even if you are immune (or believe yourself to be) how does this advert/series/movie effect the mass public? How does it effect children who are vulnerable to this brainwashing?

Think for yourself, and if you need more convincing,  watch this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment