(Note: For plain crumpets, leave out the cinnamon)
- 250ml (1 cup) cake flour (140g)
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 1ml (1/5 teaspoon) salt
- 30ml (6 teaspoons) sugar
- 1 egg
- 200ml (4/5 cup) milk
- 15ml (3 teaspoons) margarine, melted
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) cinnamon (optional)
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Add sugar.
- Beat the egg, milk and melted margarine together and add to dry ingredients.
- Beat until smooth and leave to stand for 30 minutes
- Fry spoonful's of batter on a hot greased griddle or frying pan.
- Fry until golden brown, turning when bubbles appear on the surface.
- Serve with butter, jam or honey. (also nice with peanut butter and syrup!)