You know the saying “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, happy and wise” ? Why don’t more people apply it to their lives? I’m reminded of the classic advert where the son walks into the house in the early hours of the morning. His father is sitting on the sofa and says “Morning Son”, the boy walks past on his way to his bedroom and replies “Night Dad”.
So here are some quick tips on training yourself to get up early:
- Wind down before bed. If you are relaxed before going to sleep, you will go to sleep quicker and also sleep better.
- Get enough sleep. Most humans need 8-9 hours of sleep. Try not to sleep more than 9 hours though because it may make you more sleepy. Some people don’t sleep as much as others. Figure out how much you need and sleep for that amount of time.
- Avoid caffeine drinks at night. Caffeine keeps you awake, so even if you can sleep with Caffeine in your system the sleep won’t be as sound.
- Get an alarm clock and put it out of reach. This is a classic example. I know somebody who has a really loud alarm clock and it is next to the kettle in the kitchen. I heard of somebody else who put it in her cupboard with her slippers and gown. Make sure you get out of bed to turn it off.
- Avoid the screen. Don’t use anything with a “white” light (like a TV or computer screen) before bed. A human body is set to feel tired in a red/yellow light, white light keeps you awake. Use natural lighting around your house too.