For this recipe you can use brown bread flour or white bread flour. The images are of brown bread.
- 7 cups (1kg) bread flour (brown or white)
- 10ml salt
- 10ml sugar
- 10g (1 sachet) instant dry yeast
- 20ml (1 tablespoon) Margarine
- 650ml (2.4 cups) lukewarm water
The bread dough after step 3
- Sift flour, salt and sugar together. Add dry yeast and mix.
- Rub margarine into dry ingredients and gradually add lukewarm water to mix to a soft dough. Add more water if needed.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed the dough vigorously for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover, and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Knock down the dough and divide into two.
- Place each portion in a greased 23cm loaf tin, cover with oiled plastic wrap, and leave to rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes, until double in size.
- Brush top with water and bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC (400ºF) for 35 minutes.
Total time: Approximately 2 hours.
Quantity: 2 loaves