Check out my dedicated Recipe's Only blog: In Ashleigh's Kitchen
Originally it was meant to be a vegetarian dish, or a side dish to be served with meat. I tweaked it to make it into a 1 dish meal by added bacon… here is my version of the recipe:
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2.5 cups broccoli florets
- 200g (about 1.5 cups) bacon, chopped into roughly square pieces and fried.
- Salt, Pepper, Parsley to taste
- Place potatoes in a pan, add water to cover and bring to boil (covered). Boil for about 45min or until soft.
- In another pot add broccoli and onion, cover with water and bring to boil (covered). Boil for about 15-20 minutes, or until broccoli and onion are tender.
- Drain water off the potatoes and vegetables.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl, leaving the skins (I chop them up roughly with a knife to make mashing easier)
- Mix Cream cheese, Margarine, Salt, Pepper and Parsley into the mashed potatoes.
- Fold in the broccoli, onions and bacon.
Cooking time roughly 1 hour