Monday, November 29, 2010

Red pill or blue pill?

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
~ 1 Corinthians 10:13

Every day we are going to face our weaknesses and overcome them, just like an alcoholic has to decide each day whether to have that drink or not.  We all have our temptations.  Some of us have alcohol, others food, some sexual pleasure, and various other temptations that destroy our relationship with God and others.  We can know that we are not alone.  Everybody, worldwide, is tempted. 

Temptation, in this context can also be translated into tested or testing.  I’m not a biblical scholar, I cannot read Greek, but this is what my Bible tells me and I trust that it is true.

God is faithful, he will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear.  I love movies and TV shows.  When I read those words I thought of the scene in The Matrix where Neo has to choose the red pill or the blue pill.  God allows us the choice.  He always provides a way out.  He never puts the red pill in our hand without also giving us the blue pill.  Sometimes the red pill is in our hand and the blue pill is on the table in front of us, but we always have both options.

There is only one thing in life you can truly control, and that is whether you are good or evil.

A slightly more Christian perspective on that… God is pure good, Satan is pure evil.  So there is only one thing in life we can truly control, whether we follow God or follow Satan.  What helps me when I am faced with temptation is thinking whether I am choosing God or Satan whenever I make a decision.  Who am I choosing?  Which option would Jesus want us to choose?  Answer those two questions and you’ll have your answer to your temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment