Even though the recipe is called Breakfast Beans, I think the meal is more suited to a brunch or lunch. It can also be served over pasta rather than on toast. It is filling and if you add a bit of cooked minced beef can be eaten for dinner over rice or pasta. The recipe book I got it from says “Serves 4”, and it would probably feed me for 4 meals, but as always this greatly depends on how much food the people you are serving eat. I also garnished with green pepper – this can be excluded.
So without further delay, here is the recipe:
25ml / 25g (2 tablespoons) Margarine
1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
Half a Green Pepper, seeded and chopped
1 x 420g can baked beans in tomato sauce (this does not have to be exact, just get the closest to this size you can find, I used a 410g can)
50ml ( 1/5 cup ) tomato sauce
15ml (1 tablespoon) Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
250ml (1 cup) cheddar cheese, grated
Toasted Bread slices for serving
- Melt the margarine in a frying pan. Add the onion and green pepper and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add baked beans in their sauce, the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Mix in the cheese and cook for 3 minutes, stirring continuously until the cheese is melted.
- Spoon the bean and cheese mixture on top of the toasted bread slices. Serve immediately.