Saturday, August 11, 2012

Developing a Princess Character Part 1: Sing with Joy

This is the first in my series on developing a princess character within yourself.  Some of you may know that a while ago I did a series on Disney Princesses.  I mentioned some admirable character traits of Disney princesses.  Well this series is going to expand on that series.  I’m going to be mentioning Bible verses that encourage the traits I mentioned in the Disney Princess series, as well as some hints on how to develop them within yourself.

The first trait is one that many of the princesses shared, and that was singing.  They would sing with joy, sing with longing and sing with love.

The Bible says that we should be joyful always:

“Be joyful always”

1 Thessalonians 5:16 (NIV 1984)

Most of the Psalms are songs.  There are songs of praise and songs of desire, songs expressing thanks and songs expressing heart-ache.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.

- Psalm 100:4 (NIV 1984)

Something I have noticed is that people are the music they listen to.  I don’t know if you have noticed how much music can change your mood.  I’ve noticed a few things with regards to the music I listen to:

  • Praise and Worship – makes me feel closer to God’s heart.
  • Old school hymns – make me stand in awe of God’s glory.
  • Alternative Rock music – makes me feel confident and strong, like nothing can break me down.
  • Soft romantic music – makes me feel in love
  • Celtic folk music (and big band music) – makes me want to dance
  • Music with heart-ache lyrics – makes me want to reach out to people who feel that way and be there for them.

If music makes such a difference in my heart and mind, how much can it influence everyone else on a daily basis.

So my recommendation to develop a heart of joy, is to do this one thing:

Limit the music that makes you feel negative. Listen to music that makes you feel joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment