Monday, February 20, 2012

The Sabbath

Over the past few days I have been reading Exodus.  I am now on Chapter 37, and I have to say that the one thing that has really stood out for me while reading this book is the 4th commandment.

“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.  Six days you shall labour and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God.  On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates.” ~ Exodus 20:8 – 10

This commandment is mentioned quite a few times within the book of Exodus (see Exodus 43:21 and Exodus 35:2 for another 2 places it is mentioned).  It keeps coming up throughout the book of Exodus, therefore it keeps getting brought to my attention.

It is so important for us to take a break from work.  I know that if I am overworked a number of things happen to me.

Week 1: I feel my energy levels drop and I have difficulty concentrating on the task at hand.

Week 2-3: I become discouraged.  I no longer see the point in what I am doing and begin to wonder if it is all worthwhile, whether or not God really wants me in the place I am, or if there is something better out there.

Week 4: I have a full emotional breakdown and weep before God, begging him to let the rapture happen so I can be with him in heaven and get away from the seemingly pointless world I am living in.

At that time, God usually gives me rest.  He does something to allow me to rest and rejuvenate my spirit.  Most of the time that comes in a day where I am not expected to do anything except sit, relax and evaluate my life and plan for the future.

This weekend was different from the previous occasions.  I set aside time to rest and rejuvenate my spirit without waiting for my regular break-down.  From 12pm on Saturday until 12pm on Sunday I didn’t do anything work related.  I didn’t do laundry, wash dishes, clean the house, or anything.  I gave myself time to motivate myself.  By 12pm Sunday I was so relaxed and so motivated, that I actually HAD to do something with my hands, so I cleaned the kitchen.

How does this all relate to the Sabbath?  Well Jesus said:

“The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” ~ Mark 2:27

Our wonderful Lord knew, when he made us, that we couldn’t work continuously without rest, so he made it a commandment for us to take a break.

So for this part I want to encourage all my readers to take a break once a week and do whatever you find rejuvenates your spirit, and what better way to rejuvenate your spirit than by spending part of that time by building your relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment