Saturday, October 16, 2010

Bathroom Bliss

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

~ Matthew 6:19-21

 

“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.”

~ 1 Timothy 6:10

 

I have been spending some time focusing on my surroundings and trying to accomplish a minimalist look.  I am trying to remove clutter from my life since I believe that less stuff will allow me to focus more on Jesus in the long run.  Lately I have been getting the distinct feeling that possessions come between me and my Lord.  Nobody ever seems to be content with what they have got, everybody seems to want more.  So it is time for me to want less.

 

This is taking time since every item I have needed to carefully consider whether I am going to keep it, give it away or throw it away.  You’ll be happy to know that I am finished with the bathroom surfaces (inside the cupboard and cabinet is another story).

 

I picked the bathroom as the first room to clear of clutter because it is the easiest room to start with.  Here are the pictures:

 

P1030238

 

The bathroom sink.  All that I have is a glass with my toothbrush and toothpaste, a scrub brush for nails, a bar of soap, a hand towel and toilet paper.  There is no need for more stuff than that.

 

P1030242

The toilet, I had magazines, candles and the rubber duck on the toilet and I was going to clear it all off, but to my eyes it looked strange.  I decided to keep the rubber duck because I find it relaxing to see it bobbing in the bathtub.  Pity that my current home does not have a bathtub.  There is also a dustbin, a toilet brush and a small bathroom mat.  The Rubber duck is the only object without a purpose other than decoration.

 

P1030243

 

The hamper, shower towel, scale and door of the shower.  Each item is used daily.

 

I couldn’t get a decent photograph of the shower, but just know that it only contains my net sponge, soap, shampoo, face wash, face cloth, and razor. I threw out a lot of old bottles and some sponges I hadn’t been using.

 

My bathroom has now become a relaxing place for my soul.  Last night I even considered moving my quiet time into my bathroom!  I am looking forward for the rest of my home to be as free from clutter as the bathroom is.

 

I have two major conflicts going on in my mind.  I want to go out and buy matching towels for the bathroom in neutral tones, however I have to keep telling myself that I do not need matching towels.  I have enough towels in my home.  I have the ones you see in the photographs, I have 3 other Bath Towels (2x black, 1x Navy) and 1 other Hand Towel (black).  I also have a few towels in a chest at my mothers home so I truly do not need any more.

 

The other conflict is that rubber duck is still bothering me, if anybody has a suggestion for something to replace it (that won’t cost money) please leave a comment below.

 

The next task is inside the cupboard under the bathroom sink and in the cabinet above the bathroom sink.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am in the process of decluttering too....for the same reasons as you! I have also started in my bathroom. Isn't that strange...
    I want decorations to be functional, something I am actually using, and what I decided to do in that area is put a pretty long, low basket on top of the toilet, roll up my washcloths and stick them in there with some bars of soap, bath oil beads, body wash...etc. It would add a pretty look, and be perfectly useful. Not just a decoration.

    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    Thanks for your comment! I like your idea, I found a grass basket in the cabinet under the sink that I wasn't sure what to do with. I think I may use it to make a variation of your idea. I'll see what I can come up with without buying any more stuff.

    ReplyDelete